Thursday, April 12, 2012

4/11 Four questions from final exam!

>>We finished watching the "Roll Away the Stone" video which we started last week (see notes here 4/9 here) to help us on the quiz Friday..

Some notes from  radio interview related to the video:
.“I’d like to take this chance to share a few thoughts with you today.  God put something very different in my life when I was about 19.  I had a chance to go to Israel and study, and when I was there, I discovered that there was an element in my own Christian background that had been somewhat lacking.   I  began  to  discover  that if  you  put  the Bible back into its Jewish setting, ( it’s a Jewish book, written by Jewish people, to Jewish people, initially at least ), it suddenly comes alive in new and different ways.  Now that’s not to say it’s not for Gentiles, or that it doesn’t have a timeless message, of course it does!  It’s to say that it has an additional nuance of meaning that can be found if you look at the Bible in the setting in which God placed it.  I call it thinking Hebrew, and I’ve been involved in my career as a teacher for many years, trying to understand what does it mean, if we put the Bible back into that setting?  I would like to share a couple thoughts coming out of that context with you.
 
I remember very clearly sitting in an Orthodox Jewish classroom, listening to a Jewish man lecture, a brilliant Jewish individual, not a Christian, and he was describing the marriage customs of the first century Jewish people in the land of Israel.  I sat there as a Christian, not Jewish, I’m Gentile, Dutch no less, and I’m sitting in the classroom, and I’m listening to this Orthodox Jew describe marriage. And he described how a young man would reach marrying age, and the young man and his father would pick out a family in the land of Israel that had a daughter, a Godly family that had a daughter, that would be an appropriate wife. …And the young man and his father would go to the young girl’s house and they would sit and negotiate the bride price, because the loss of a daughter was an enormous loss.  When they’d arrived at the price that was to be paid for this young girl, 14, 15, 16 years of age, the young man would then ask her to marry him, but he did it in a very Jewish way. 
 
The young man’s father would take a flask of wine. He would pour a cup of wine and hand it to his son The son would then turn to the young woman, and with all the solemnity of an oath before Almighty God Himself, that young man would take that cup of wine and say to that young woman, “This cup is a new covenant in my blood, which I offer to you.”  In other words, “I love you.  I’ll be your faithful husband.   Will you be my bride?”
 
And tears came to my eyes as I recognized Jesus at the last Supper with His collection of Jewish disciples, who knew the Passover liturgy since they were old enough to think.  Suddenly in the middle of the liturgy, after the third cup, completely out of place, Jesus, on His way to pay the bride price with His own blood, turns to those disciples and says to them in the language of the culture, “This cup is the New Covenant in my blood”.  I love you, Will you be my bride? 
 
And every single time you sit in your fellowship or your community in your Church, and your Elder, your Pastor, or whoever leads the Service, turns to you and offers you the cup, Jesus, in the language of the culture says to you, “I love you”, and the only way I can describe the depths and the passion of that love is to say, “Will you be my wife?  -Ray Van Der Laan
--

.>>We walked through these four questions from the final exam:

1)Say as much as you can about the Feast of FirstFruits, especially as it may relate to Jesus' death


See short video below and article links for answers

First Fruits | Follow The Rabbi





2)Say as much as you can about Feast of Passover/Passover Seder/Freast of Unleavened Bread, especially as it may relate to Jesus' death.  Comment on why the DaVinci seating arrangement is wrong.

Help:

  • pp. 193-204 of the study guide to today's"The Final Passover" video will remind you of much of the content..click here




  • The Lord’s Supper: The Passover



  • 3)What is your view of the Trinity at the  Cross?  Include discussion of Psalm 22 and intertextuality.
    Do you think God the Father temporarily abandined/.forsook Jesus on the Criss? Was the fellwoship of the Trinity broken?  Why or why not?  Why is your answer important?

    Help:






    4)Summarize RRWI vs. EPIC culture

    See my article  pp.. 38-39 here  (or as a PDF pp. 36-37 here)



    Talk some about which culture you most naturally gravitate to and why.
    Which does Sweet suggest is most like the biblical culture and "historical world" of New Testament times and worldview and why?




    No comments:

    Post a Comment